It may seem like everything today costs money, but that’s not necessarily true. When you visit us, here on Mount Desert Island, Maine, you’ll be amazed at all of these fun things to see & do that are FREE!
1. Look for Seaglass & Sand Dollars along Seal Harbor Beach - you might want to get there early, though, before they are picked up by other treasure seekers.
2.Catch sunrise from atop Cadillac Mountain – Many of our guests get up VERY early in the summer to head up the mountain. They always return saying how beautiful the sunrise was. We’ll even pack you a picnic breakfast to take along with you!
3. Take an invigorating hike up Beech Mountain – it will be worth it when you see the view!
4.Catch sunset from atop Cadillac Mountain – You won’t have to get up as early and sunset promises to be just as striking as sunrise. Grab a bottle of wine and some cheese and just be.
5.Walk the Ship Harbor & Wonderland nature trails. Each trail is about 1 mile long and considered to be a easy hike.
6. Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse – Before or after the nature trail walks, continue a couple miles down the road to the lighthouse.
7. Bar Harbor Whale Museum – when you are shopping around Bar harbor, stop in this small but interesting museum.
8. Wendell Gilley Museum – located in Southwest Harbor and home to amazing hand carved bird figures. Admission is free every Saturday in July & August.
9. Echo Lake – a popular swimming spot, due to the fact that the water temperature is usually warmer than the ocean water. Plenty of parking and a nice sandy beach area.
10. Bar Harbor Cellars – Stop by Sweet Pea Farm for their free wine tasting, specialty foods & fresh cut flower farm.
11. Atlantic Brewing Company -Make sure to visit during tour hours and sample some great local beers.
12. Pincic at Seawall - an idyllic Maine picnic spot located about 10 minutes from Clark Point Inn.
13. Pick & eat wild Maine blueberries while walking & hiking Acadia’s nature trails. Cadillac Mountain, Ship Harbor & Wonderland to name just a few.
14. Voyage across Bar Island – at low tide you can walk or drive across this exposed sand bar in Bar Harbor. Just be sure to keep an eye on the tide or you may find yourself camping out for the night, if you don’t get back across before high tide moves back in.
15. Tidepools in Acadia National Park - some fascinating creatures can be found in the intertidal zones called ‘tidepools’. Please be considerate though as their ecosystem is easily damaged. Observe quietly and take only pictures, while leaving the animals as you found them.
16. Asticou Azalea Gardens & Thuya Gardens - Beautiful gardens! Take your time and absorb the styles and the colors. You won’t want to rush your time here!
17. Bird Watching in Acadia National Park - being home to more than 270 species of breeding birds means that you are sure to see birds that you have never seen before. At the inn, we have a number of bird books you are welcome to borrow.
18. St. Saviour’s Episcopal Church - located in Bar Harbor, this lovely church showcases 42 louis Comfort Tiffany stained glass windows. The largest collection of stained glass in the state of Maine! Beautiful and definately worth a visit.
19. Sargent Drive – if you are heading over to Northeast Harbor, Maine, you should consider taking this alternate route. it is a very scenic drive that runs along the edge of Somes Sound.
20. Pretty Marsh – A beautiful, secluded picnic spot on the Quietside of Mount Desert Island. Breathtaking vistas!
21. Sieur de Monts Spring – An important part of Acadia National Park history and open year round. Includes the Wild Gardens of Acadia and the Acadia Nature Center. You simply can’t return home without visiting this amazing area of Acadia.
So there ya have it! Our suggestions of free & fun things to see and do during your stay at Clark Point Inn. Of course there are MANY more activities than what we have listed here and we are happy to fill you in!